Everything you need to learn about PBR Texturing in one place.
This online course will teach you everything that is important to get started with PBR texturing in Substance Painter.
All the crucial fundamental principles, tools, settings and workflows are explained step by step and easy to understand, in concise lessons with practical exercises.
You will also learn a full Blender to Substance Painter pipeline to bring your 3d model textures to a whole new level.
No need for gathering online videos from different sources to get started.
This course includes 100+ videos with 8+ hrs of running time.
Your Instructor - Martin Klekner
Martin is a CG artist and instructor, and will guide you through this course.
"Epic movies and CG game trailers. Two things that made me become a CG Artist.
Throughout my 10+ years journey, I've always loved to jump into huge personal projects, from Star Wars fan films to my current Heroes of Bronze CG short film project. Somehow along the way I've also had the opportunity to direct cut scenes for the 2017s acclaimed RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Sharing what I've learned was always my passion as well. Under the CG Boost flag, I want to push this skill to a whole new level..."
Below you can see what in each chapter is waiting for you to be explored.
Chapter 1 - Getting Started
8 tutorials | ~0:50 hrs running time
The 1st chapter will give you the overall theoretical knowledge about Substance and its PBR workflows.
It is mostly theoretical knowledge, but one that is definitely vital for your understanding of what’s happening under the hood of the software while you’re texturing.
In this chapter, you will also learn how you can get Substance Painter, what licensing and subscription options there are and some history behind the software.
Chapter 2 - Preparing the 3D Model
5 tutorials | ~0:20 hrs running time
The 2nd chapter gives you a quick introduction into various ways you can approach preparing your 3d models in Blender for export to Substance.
You will learn how to approach building your models, their UVs and materials even before you step inside of Substance Painter. All the possible variants are included as .blend files.
Chapter 3 & 4 - User Interface & Tools Overview
25 tutorials | ~2:00 hrs running time
In chapter 3 and 4, you will get all the basic knowledge of Substance Painter’s user interface and tools.
You will go step by step through the software’s various important areas and learn everything you need for the later workflow chapters. Throughout the chapters, you will be using the "Flybot" base model, allowing you to splash some paint on it!
Chapter 5 - Basic PBR Texturing Workflow
26 tutorials | ~2:00 hrs running time
The first hands-on texturing workflows start in Chapter 5, while we’ll be working on our little "Flybot" model.
You will get to know your first materials, masks, particle brushes, alphas, normals and much more. From baking process, to color variation and adding dirt, to the final touches, you will have a first taste of how fun and fast working in Substance Painter actually is.
Chapter 6 - Rendering Overview
4 tutorials | ~0:15 hrs running time
In chapter 6 you will learn about presenting your creation in the best possible light.
In other words, you will get to know the rendering capabilities of Painter, including the great "IRay" interface. You will learn about powerful filters, lighting adjustments, as well as controlling the environment around your model for the best possible rendering results directly inside of Painter.
Chapter 7 & 8 - Preparing & Texturing the Robot (Barrelbot)
~30 tutorials | ~2:30 hrs running time
In Chapters 7 and 8 we will finally jump onto the mascot of the whole course, the F37 Barrelbot, our nuclear waste-cleaning robot called "Barry".
First, we will UV unwrap it in Blender and prepare it for export. After that, in Painter, you will learn about advanced workflows and tricks, painting normal and height maps, playing around with complex masks, adding decals and deepening the backstory of this robot with adding texture details.
Chapter 9 - Use the 3D Model in Blender
~2 tutorials | ~0:07 hrs running time
In chapter 9 you will learn how to bring back your creation from Substance Painter to Blender.
Exporting various texture maps, plugging them into the PBR shaders, quickly lighting and rendering the robot in your favorite 3D software. (Which is Blender, of course.)
Chapter 10 - Texturing more Scene Assets
~2 tutorials | ~0:18 hrs running time
Chapter 10 will give you some more, shorter yet more specific workflow examples, like texturing cloth, wooden materials and even some organic objects.
You will learn about painting with opacity, subsurface scattering, instancing layers and more.
Chapter 11 - Advanced Bonus Lessons
~15 tutorials | ? running time (will be added to the course soon)
The final chapter 11 is for all of you who mastered the previous sections, since we will focus on more advanced parts of Painter.
This including all the seldom used, yet useful tools it provides, like working with MicroDetails, advanced Baking, Dynamic Strokes, using Anchor Points, LUTs, exploring UDIMs and more.
Course Curriculum & Free Preview
Below you can see the full course curriculum. Lessons marked as “Preview” can be watch for free.
- 📥 Download Chapter 1
- 1.1 🔥 - Welcome to the Course (8:01)
- 1.2 - What is Substance Painter (3:56)
- 1.3 - The Story of Allegorithmic (7:20)
- 1.4 - Similarities to Photoshop (3:00)
- 1.5 🔥 - Texture Maps (7:59)
- 1.6 🔥 - Baked Mesh Maps (6:25)
- 1.7 🔥 - What is Physically Based Rendering (PBR) (11:49)
- 1.8 🔥 - Where to Register and Download (2:51)
- 1.9 - Community & Support
- 1.10 - Tools and System Info
- 📥 Download Chapter 4
- 4.1 🔥 - Setting up a Project (4:31)
- 4.2 🔥 - Baking Mesh Maps (4:58)
- 4.3 🔥 - Basic Material Settings (3:39)
- 4.4 🔥 - Editing the Project and Updating Meshes (1:43)
- 4.5 🔥 - Adjusting Materials and UV Projections (7:59)
- 4.6 🔥 - Layering Materials and Blending (2:47)
- 4.7 🔥 - Masking (6:23)
- 4.8 🔥 - Smart Masks (5:59)
- 4.9 🔥 - Mask Editor (8:13)
- 4.10 🔥 - Effects and Filters (5:51)
- 4.11 🔥 - Custom Paint and Brush Tools (8:31)
- 4.12 🔥 - Stencils (2:56)
- 4.13 🔥 - Painting Tools (3:10)
- 4.14 🔥 - Particles Brushes (8:44)
- 4.15 🔥 - Normal Paint (3:27)
- 4.16 - Importing Resources (4:27)
- 📥 Download Chapter 5
- 5.1 🔥 - Intro (0:59)
- 5.2 🔥 - Starting the Flybot Project (2:10)
- 5.3 🔥 - Baking Mesh Maps (4:37)
- 5.4 🔥 - Creating a Basic Iron Material (3:01)
- 5.5 🔥 - Adding Paint to the Iron Material (5:49)
- 5.6 - Adding Hand Painted Detail to Masks (8:38)
- 5.7 - Material Roughness Variation (2:32)
- 5.8 🔥 - Adding Dirt and Rust (6:02)
- 5.9 🔥 - Masking out the Screen and Adding Overall Dirt (7:23)
- 5.10 🔥 - Creating the Smiley Screen (7:56)
- 5.11 - Adding Noise Texture to the Smiley Screen (3:55)
- 5.12 🔥 - Adding a Crack to the Glass (4:53)
- 5.13 - Adding Paneling to the Bottom of the Hull (4:48)
- 5.14 🔥 - Texturing the Hands and Re-using Materials (7:16)
- 5.15 - Texturing the Hands and Masking Edges (3:23)
- 5.16 🔥 - Adding the Glow Layer (3:51)
- 5.17 - Making the Tubes Plastic (2:37)
- 5.18 - Adding Yellow to the Tubes (3:09)
- 5.19 🔥 - Repurposing Materials for the Others Texture Set (8:15)
- 5.20 - Adding Details and Color Variation (3:12)
- 5.21 - Changing Colors (1:45)
- 5.22 🔥 - Changing the Color of Hands and Adding Decals (4:16)
- 5.23 🔥 - Adding Decals to the Hull (5:36)
- 5.24 - Adding Decals to the Rest of the Robot (3:11)
- 5.25 🔥 - Emission (3:19)
- 5.26 - Last Touches (6:26)
- 📥 Download Chapter 8
- 8.1 - Project Overview (4:58)
- 8.2 🔥 - Starting the Barrelbot Project (3:54)
- 8.3 🔥 - Adding Height Using Alphas (5:45)
- 8.4 🔥 - Adding Rivets (5:38)
- 8.5 🔥 - Adding Height to the Rest of the Model (4:14)
- 8.6 🔥 - Adding Scratches (3:44)
- 8.7 🔥 - Baking (6:57)
- 8.8 🔥 - Creating the Paint Material (4:58)
- 8.9 🔥 - Creating the Metal Material (7:24)
- 8.10 - Adding Hand Painted Detail to the Body Texture Set (4:02)
- 8.11 🔥 - Adding Rust (3:24)
- 8.12 🔥 - Adding Dirt (4:02)
- 8.13 - Hand Painting Dirt and Rust (4:29)
- 8.14 - Reusing Painted Metal for the Eye (3:19)
- 8.15 🔥 - Adding Glass Material and Color Variation to the Eye (5:51)
- 8.16 - Reusing Painted Metal for the Feet (2:10)
- 8.17 🔥 - Using Anchor Points (5:25)
- 8.18 - Dirt and Rust on the Feet (2:44)
- 8.19 🔥 - Instancing Layers (2:58)
- 8.20 - Finishing up the Feet (6:56)
- 8.21 - Finishing up the Rest of the Texture Sets (5:48)
- 8.22 🔥 - Adding transparent Save the Planet Sticker (6:16)
- 8.23 🔥 - Adding the Kiss Me Sticker (3:35)
- 8.24 🔥 - Adding the rest of the Stickers (5:20)
- 8.25 - Last Touches (9:21)
- 8.26 🔥 - Welding Tool (4:32)
- 📥 Download Chapter 10
- 10.1 - Texturing the Barrel (UV process) (9:37)
- 10.2 - Texturing the Barrel (Re-purposing Smart Materials) (9:55)
- 10.3 🔥 - Texturing Cloth - Baking High-poly Mesh to Low-poly Mesh (7:21)
- 10.4 - Texturing Cloth - Adding Frayed Edges (5:19)
- 10.5 🔥 - 3D Sculpting in Substance Painter 🆕 [6/9/20] (12:29)
- 📥 Download Chapter 11
- 11.1 - Adding LUTs to Substance Painter (2:52)
- 11.2 🔥 - Dynamic Strokes Explained (+ Practical Example) (11:53)
- 11.3 - Types of Shaders (10:21)
- 11.4 - Export to Photoshop (4:53)
- 11.5 🔥 - New Brush Options (v2019.3+) (6:54)
- 11.6 🔥 Color Selection Tool (3:51)
- 11.7 - Compare Mask (5:26)
- More content will be gradually added
Below you can read what our students say about this course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you find answers for the most common questions.
Can't find the answer for your question? Contact us here.
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days, and we will give you a full refund. No questions asked.
Do I need to buy Substance Painter to follow the course?
Yes. If you don't have a Substance subscription yet, you can try it for 30 days free of charge, here.
What type of license should I get - the Steam license or Subscription?
If you want to own Substance Painter and do not need other applications like Designer and Alchemist, you can go with the perpetual Steam version. That version, however, will only provide updates for one year and will not give you full access to Substance Source library. In the course we won't fully rely on Substance Source, but it will be used every now and then to spice things up.
The subscription is quite affordable and gives you all the Substance applications with support and the Source library. Besides, you can cancel the subscription at anytime.
Also, you can always try the 30-day trial to help you decide.
More information in the free lesson 8 from chapter 1.
Will the course cover modeling and animation?
No, this course focuses on PBR texturing in Substance Painter and the Blender to Substance Painter pipeline (export/import) only. Modeling, animation etc. is not included.
Can I get single chapters independently without buying the whole course?
Sorry, this is not possible.
Learning Substance Painter was one of the best things I could've done
I started using Substance Painter in 2016 and it completely changed the way I create textures.
Everything has become much faster, much better looking and reliable ever since - which in turn, immensely helped me in both my personal and commercial projects.
For me personally, learning how to use it was one of the best decisions I could have made. In this course, I want to share my knowledge with you.
Let's get started on this exciting journey to level up your PBR texturing skills and to create 3D art you can be proud of.
Get started now
Your satisfaction is guaranteed with our 30-day 100% money-back guarantee.